List of Writing Skills for Resumes
- Basic Writing Skills. Grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, clarity, brevity, engagement, proofreading, revising.
- Professional Writing Skills. Note taking, letter writing, email writing, MS Office, business writing, written communication skills.
- Business Writing Skills. Report writing, business case writing, press release writing, newsletter writing, analysis, research, content management.
- Technical Writing Skills. Analysis, planning, data visualization, feedback gathering, preparing documents, product knowledge, research, collaboration.
- Creative Writing. Writing novels, writing short stories, plotting, worldbuilding, creating characters, writing dialogue, humor, drama, action.
- College Writing Skills, aka academic writing skills. Exposition, persuasion, description, narration, essay writing, thesis writing, creative writing.
- Foreign Language Writing Skills. Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, foreign business writing, fluency.
- Copywriter Skills. Content writing, blog writing, SEO, sales writing, research, marketing, empathy, product knowledge.
- Content Writing. Research, SEO, focus, meeting deadlines, editing, proofreading, engagement, adaptability, organization, communication.
- Editing. Copy editing, online editing, final manuscript production, typesetting,
- Grant Writing Skills. Organization, persuasion, research, persistence, empathy, subject knowledge, creativity, attention to detail, storytelling.
- Emails Writing Skills. Business emails, mail-merges, sales emails, folders, rules, filters, brevity, precision, proofreading, manners, consistency.
- Blog Writing. Focus, brevity, simplicity, engagement, research, strong work ethic.
- Report Writing. Sourcing, research, analysis, data visualization, interviewing, data management, MS Office, summarizing.
- Media Writing. SEO, AP Style, grammar, punctuation, accuracy, clarity, objectivity, sourcing, interviewing, research, digital media writing, news writing.
- Magazine Writing. Pitching, writing ledes, research, interviewing, outreach, structure, storytelling, writing heads and subheads, networking, feature writing.
- Journalism. Interviewing, research, special knowledge, meeting deadlines, social media, sourcing, outreach, revising, analyzing, fact-checking.
- Collaborative Writing Skills. Collaboration, Google Docs, Trello, Jira, MS Word, teamwork, editing.
- Business Storytelling. Branding, sales, positivity, brevity, detail oriented, empathy, engagement, research, networking.
- Proposal Writing. Development, empathy, organization, communication, basic writing, business writing.
- Social Media Writing. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, accuracy, engagement, adaptability, humor, detail-oriented, writing calls-to-action.
- Presentation Writing. PowerPoint, creativity, brevity, public speaking, sales.
- Writing Computer Skills. MS Office, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Content Management Systems, WordPress.
The skills above are hard skills, a.k.a. writing technical skills.
But professional writers need other qualities too.
Here’s a list of writing soft skills for your resume:
Writing Soft Skills
- Strong Work Ethic
- Detail Oriented
- Interpersonal Skills
- Time Management
- Work Ethic